Most of our web design and SEO/Online Marketing clients are probably still new to Twitter and trying to follow all the buzz words they have heard. We looked around for a comprehensive list of Twitter vocabulary. Here’s a start.
- tweets (noun): posts made by twitter users, which must be under 140 characters.
- tweet – verb. to send a twitter message
- tweeps – noun. one’s twitter friends
- follow: subscribe to a particular users’ twitter posts
- unfollow: unsubscribe from a particular users’ twitter posts
- RT: Retweet: tweeting content posted by another user
- DM / direct message: send a direct private message to another twitter user
- tweetback: a backlink tweet for a blog article
- favorite: a post on twitter that you mark as favorite to find it quickly when you need it
- followorthy: a twitter user who is worthy of following
- followspam: The practice of following another twitter account, usually to prompt a reciprocol follow in order to boost follow count, or to encourage the followee to explore the profile fo the follower, whereupon they inevitably see some form of advertising or come-on.
- tweetup: meeting a Twitter user/s in the real world
- Fly-bye: signing off of twitter
- tweeps: friends on twitter
- tweople: people who tweet
- twirting: flirting on twitter
- twirt (verb): same as above
- twitterhea: the unstoppable urge to tweet
- twammer: Twitter + spammer: someone that follows many people and post updates with links to web sites akin to those found in spam e-mails.
- tweetjacking: Hijacking someone’s tweet by switching their link for your own and retweeting it, piggybacking on their authority to drive traffic to your own target page.
- chirp storm (noun): popular twitter, tweeted about by many.
Popularity: 3% [?]